As an entrepreneur, it can be hard to describe exactly what you do to other adults, much less to your kids. We learned that the best way to explain what we do is by teaching the young ones how they can be entrepreneurs themselves.
1. ALLOW KIDS SPACE – don’t allow your adult brain poo-poo their seemingly wild ideas. Let them describe their idea and talk about what might be possible.
2. COACH THEM ON GOAL SETTING – Help them write down their goals. Make it formal with pencil and paper or on their iPads. Goal setting will add discipline to their plans.
3. SUPPORT THEIR SUCCESSES AND REFOCUS THEIR FAILURES INTO NEW POSSIBILITIES –
Entrepreneurs think differently. Help them see that set backs or challenges are just new opportunities.
4. INTRODUCE THEM TO A BUSINESS PLAN – Having even a simple outline helps them organize their thoughts and ideas.
5. INVEST IN THEM – Don’t just hand over money….assign a value to each job or product. Really talk to your kids about expectations just like a real client would during a meeting.